On this page you will find information on accessibility options at the university of Göttingen, commonly referred to as “Barrierefreies Studium” (barrier-free studying). A barrier is anything that prevents people from fully participating in society or in their field of study. In the following text, we will introduce you to some contact persons, institutions and other useful information. In addition, we are of course available for more detailed questions and personal concerns during our office hours and by e-mail.

Your contact point at the university for questions about accessibility and studying with disabilities is the Representation for Students with Disabilities (Vertretung für Studierende mit Beeinträchtigungen, VfSB). The VfSB advocates for the interests of students with disabilities, chronic illnesses, neurodiversity (e.g. ADHD, autism…) and mental illnesses at the University of Göttingen. The representation meets every 2 weeks on Monday from 6 to 8 pm.They are also available as a contact for questions about and problems in your studies. They can be contacted by mail at or on Instagram at vfsb_goettingen.

Since winter semester 2016/17 the Fachschaftsrat of the Physics faculty, in cooperation with the Equal Opportunities Office of the Faculty, has been offering a tutoring and mentoring program for students in impeding circumstances (students with impairments/chronic illness, students with children, students with relatives in need of care and many more). The aim of this project is to make it easier for these students to start their studies by providing them with professional help and personal support, because they often have less time available to attend lectures and tutorials.
Do you want to learn more about this program or have questions? Then you can find more information on the website of the FSR Physik. Or ask them directly:


Websites and Information Material
A lot of useful information is provided by the website “einfach teilhaben”. Here you’ll find special tips on financing and studying, as well as a citizen’s hotline, online counseling, a doctor-and-clinic finder, and much more.

The Deutsche Studentenwerk has also compiled a lot of facts all around barrier-free studying. For comprehensive information, the handbook “Studium und Behinderung” is available online or for free via mail order, but it is currently only available in German.

Further useful websites as well as general contact points can be found below under “Nationwide networks and contact points”. For specific information on Göttingen and the university, see “Barrier-free studying at the University of Göttingen” and “Contact points in Göttingen.”

This section is only intended to provide a brief overview of financing options that are specifically relevant for accessibility questions. You can find a detailed overview of all nationwide options for student financing on the website of the Deutsche Studentenwerk.


You can find scholarships that suit you by registering on the website Barrierefrei Studieren.


The BAföG contains various regulations on compensation for disadvantages. In addition, it is always advisable to seek individual advice from the BAföG office. After consultation/application, the provision of a communication assistance is also possible.

Age at the start of your studies
If there is an impediment (e.g. a prolonged hospital stay) preventing a “timely” start of your studies, it is also possible to be funded under BAföG if you have has exceeded the age of 30 (Bachelor) or 35 (Master) at the time of enrollment. However, this is only applicable if the studies are taken up immediately after the reason for the delay has ceased to exist.

Allowance on income
An additional hardship allowance can be claimed on the income of parents and spouse or partner – incidentally, even if other family members have a disability.

Allowance on own assets
In addition to the allowance of 7,500€, another part of your assets can be kept outside of calculations if it is needed/used to avoid undue hardship.

Extension of the maximum funding period
BAföG is paid beyond the standard period of study only for “irrefutable reasons”. For this, the disability and/or illness must be demonstrably the cause of the delay. It is particularly important that delays are made visible as soon as they occur. This is because if, despite a study-delaying disability/illness, the obligatory proof of performance can be provided after the fourth semester, it will be difficult to prove a non-culpable delay in the later semesters. Therefore, it is better to apply for a deadline extension as early as possible.

Change of degree program
If the course of study is changed only in the 4th semester or later, then a promotion of the new course of study as initial training is only possible if the change was made for an “irrefutable reason”. This the case, if the study is no longer continueable due to an impairment or the exercise of the achieved profession is no longer possible.

Loan repayment
The repayment of the BAföG loan can be deferred in case of particular hardship. For this purpose, a hardship allowance on the income can be requested.

Studentenwerk Göttingen
Department of Student Financing.
Central cafeteria
Place of the Göttingen Seven 4
37073 Göttingen
Phone: 0551 39-5134

Aid / Social Service of the Studentenwerk

In addition to emergency loans, graduation loans and other financial aid, Universitätsbund e.V. grants can be applied for at the Social Services Office of the Studentenwerk. These grants can serve to compensate for additional needs, the purchase of technical aids or the financing of medical or auxiliary aids. Here you can also find out more about the Studentenwerk’s barrier-free dormitories.

Studentenwerk Göttingen
Social Services
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 4
37073 Göttingen
Phone: +49 (0)551 39-5120 (Mr. Staier)
Phone: +49 (0)551 39-5187 (Ms. Strauß)

Barrier-free studying at the University of Göttingen

Barrier-free studying / Diversity Management
The University’s Diversity Management provides you with a good overview of the various counseling services and benefits available to you. In addition, there is a special consultation hour every Tuesday from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Office of Student Affairs at Wilhelmsplatz 4 for questions about studying with disabilities.

Katrin Lux
Diversity Management
Department of Studies and Teaching
Wilhelmsplatz 4
37073 Göttingen
Tel: +49 551 39-7494

To provide equal opportunity participation at the university, the necessary conditions need to be established. In doing so, the varieties of individual situations must always be taken into account.
A good overview of the possibilities of disadvantage compensation at the University of Göttingen can be found here. Basic regulations for the University of Göttingen are, among others, anchored in the Allgemeine Prüfungsordnung (APO) in paragraphs 14 (5) and 21.
Barrier-Free Buildings
Unfortunately, many buildings and rooms at the University of Göttingen are not barrier-free or only barrier-free to a limited extent. An interactive campus map, which summarizes access options, routes and other useful information at a glance, can be found here.
In order to facilitate barrier-free studies, it is of course possible to relocate courses to more accessible rooms. Lecturers or the room administration should be informed about a corresponding need as early as possible, so that bottlenecks can be avoided.
The SUB Göttingen also provides a service for students with limited mobility. You can find out more here.
Technical Assistance
For those with impaired vision, the State and University Library (SUB) offers a scanning service and a workstation in the Learning Resources Center (LRC). You can find more information here. For technical assistance you can also contact the Social Service of the Studentenwerk (see above).
Barrier-Free Living-Spaces
The student dormitories also provide some barrier-free apartments. For information on this topic it is best to contact the Social Service of the Studentenwerk (see above). A general list of all dormitories of the Studentenwerk can be found here.
CampusAssist of the Faculty of Humanities
For students of the Faculty of Humanities there is the option to book an assistance for study-related activities by the hour or by the day. You can find out more here.

Campus Assistance.
Dean of Students Office of the Faculty of Arts.
Humboldtallee 17
37073 Göttingen

Psychosocial Counselling (PSB)
In case of difficulties with your studies and of personal crises, the psychosocial counseling of the Studentenwerk will gladly help you. Both individual and group counseling sessions are possible, and the PSB also offers its own range of courses each semester. In addition, there are special coaching offers for the beginning of your studies, the graduation phase and the doctoral phase. For students going through a severe mental crisis there is also the semester-long group program HOPES (Help and Orientation for Students with Mental Illness).

Psychosocial Counselling (PSB).
Goßlerstr. 23
37073 Göttingen
Registration via secretariat :
Tel.: +49 (0) 551 39-4059

Psychotherapeutic Outpatient Clinic for Students (PAS)
The psychotherapeutic outpatient clinic advises and treats students in psychological crisis situations. This can take the form of short-term crisis intervention in four to ten sessions (as individual counseling) or longer-term individual or group therapy. If necessary, referrals are made to psychotherapists or clinics. In addition, the PAS has the legitimacy to confirm illness-related incapacity to take part in courses or exams, if applicable.

Psychotherapeutic Outpatient Clinic for Students (PAS)
Humboldtallee 38
37073 Göttingen
Registration via secretariat:
Tel.: 0551 / 39-4596

Contact Points in Göttingen

Advisory Board for People with Disabilities
The Advisory Board for People with Disabilities of the city of Göttingen represents the interests and concerns of people with disabilites and is elected by them every four years. Once a year, it presents its work at a plenary meeting. The website of the Advisory Board for People with Disabilities also provides a map of the city and information on the accessibility of medical practices.

Advisory Council for People with Disabilities
New City Hall
Hiroshimaplatz 1- 4
37070 Göttingen
Tel: 0551 / 400 – 21 59

Disability Coordination Office
The city’s Disability Coordination Office provides general consultations for people with disabilities.

New City Hall
Hiroshimaplatz 1-4
37083 Göttingen
Tel: 0551/ 400-2176

Kontakt- Informations- und Beratungsstelle im Selbsthilfebereich (KIBIS)
KIBIS is an institution of the Göttingen Health Center which supports regional self-help groups and helps with contacting those groups. In addition, this counseling center can also assist you if you want to establish a self-help group of your own.

Contact Information and Counseling Center in the Self-Help Sector (KIBIS)
Long Geismar Str. 82
37073 Goettingen
Tel: 0551 / 48 67 66

Selbsthilfe Körperbehinderter e.V.
‘Self-Help of the Physically Disabled’ is an assistance and care service. In addition to general advice on organizational, legal and social issues, this institution also offers personal assistance and a driving service.

Selbsthilfe Körperbehinderter e.V.
Neustadt 7
37073 Göttingen
Tel.: 0551-547330

Independent Patient Counseling at the Gesundheitszentrum Göttingen
Independent patient counseling is another service offered at the Göttingen Health Center. The counseling provides information about patients’ rights as well as other legal regulations, and it can assist you in conflicts with health insurance companies or doctors.

Independent Patient Counseling at the Göttingen Health Center
Albanikirchhof 4 – 5
37073 Göttingen
Tel: 0551/4887780

Back up – counseling center for careleaver
 The counseling center was set up by the city of Göttingen and is aimed at young people who received youth assistance in their youth or childhood. They provide support on the way to independence and advise on housing issues, financing, health problems and much more.

        Back up – Support for careleavers
        Lotzestraße 22c
        37073 Göttingen
        Tel.: 0551/4003166 oder 0551/4003231
        E-Mail: oder

Federal networks and contact points