Counselling for study and social issues

Our department of social affairs offers advice on all social matters related to your studies.
For initial information, click through the collection of topics below. We will be happy to answer any further questions by email or during our office hours by phone.

The office hours are every Monday from 4 pm to 6 pm,Wednesday from 4 pm to 6 pm and every Thursday from 10 am to 12 am. At this time, you can contact us by phone at 0551-39 34566.

Please note: During the semester break, social counselling only takes place on Wednesdays, 4-6 pm.

We will try to help you with all your questions about financing your studies, studying with a child, barrier-free studies, semester ticket reimbursement, and much more!
Of course, you can also send us an email at any time to We always try to answer all your questions quickly.

You can find more contact options, office hours and addresses here.

Related links:

Health insurance

Students under the age of 30 are generally required to have health and long-term care insurance. Therefore, the university requires a confirmation of your health insurance before you enroll. We have summarized the most common cases below:

Family insurance
If both of your parents have statutory health insurance and you are under 25 years old, you will be covered by your parents’ family insurance. However, you must note that you may not regularly earn more than €450 during the lecture period if you want to remain a member of the family insurance. If you earn more than that, your family insurance will end and you will have to insure yourself. If you have done a recognised voluntary service, your insurance period can be extended by the length of that period beyond your 25th birthday, but by a maximum of 12 months.

Private health insurance

If one of your parents is privately insured and has a higher income (monthly more than 1/12 of the annual income limit and higher than the total income of the other parent), you can be exempted from compulsory insurance within the first three months of your studies in order to take out private insurance. This can be particularly interesting if one of your parents is a civil servant and entitled to benefits, as you can then also benefit from the benefits (however, only as long as you receive child benefit, i.e. usually up to the age of 25).

However, this exemption is valid for the entire duration of your studies and possibly even beyond! This means that you will have to take out private insurance for the duration of the exemption (even if you drop out of the allowance at 25). At the moment, the only time you can cancel this exemption is between your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees – but only as long as you are not enrolled for more than one month. The decision to be exempted should therefore be considered very carefully.
If you decide not to take out private health insurance, you will have to insure yourself.

Student health insurance
If you can no longer be insured through your family, but are still subject to compulsory insurance, you will be covered by student health insurance until the age of 30. The contribution is the same for all statutory health insurance funds and is calculated according to the BAföG maximum rate. It is currently €76.04 per month. On top of this comes the additional contribution, which each health insurance fund can set individually. You also have to pay the nursing care insurance contribution, which is currently €22.96 or €24.55 (for childless persons over 23) per month.
If you receive BAföG at the same time, you will receive a health and long-term care insurance supplement of €109.

Voluntary insurance
If you can’t be covered by the student insurance scheme (any more), e.g. because you are over 30, you can take out voluntary insurance with the statutory health insurance scheme. The contribution is then based on your income. If you receive BAföG at the same time, you can receive up to 155 € per month as a subsidy.

For more details, please contact your health insurance provider. You can also find detailed information here.

For international students, additional information in different languages can be found here.


Broadcasting fee (Rundfunkbeitrag)

Since January 1, 2013, every household has been required to pay a broadcasting contribution. The contribution is €17.50 per month per household. The most important FAQs have been provided by the Studentenwerk Göttingen here.

You can be exempted from paying fees if you receive social benefits (including BAföG; but not scholarships). You can find the exact list here.

If you do not receive social benefits because your income is too high by less than 17.50 €, you can also be exempted (submit BAföG rejection notice).

In addition, deaf-blind people and people with a disability certificate with the “RF” mark can be exempted on a pro-rata basis.

Important: The exemption does not apply to your flatmates! They also cannot simply register through you and then not pay. The exemption is only transferable in the case of registered civil partnerships and marriages, as well as in the case of operational communities (Einsatzgemeinschaften) according to §19 SGB XII.

Note: We make every effort to ensure that the information on this page is always up to date, complete and correct. Nevertheless, in case of doubt, the information cannot replace advice from the respective contact point.[/su_spoiler]

Even before the semester begins, many of you are faced with a new challenge: Where and, above all, how will I live during my studies? To make it easier for you to move into your own flat or into a shared flat, we would like to show you some options here.

Problems of studyability

If you have difficulties with the studyability of your subject, for example due to overlapping exam dates, unfair behaviour by lecturers or simply questions about your courses, you should first write to your Fachschaftsrat or Fachgruppe. If you have concerns that require university-wide solutions, please contact our Department of Internal Affairs.