On 30.05.2023, the Student Parliament unanimously passed a resolution rejecting the Presidential Board’s proposal for a discrimination protection concept. This decision is based on the conviction that the proposed concept does not meet the urgent need for an anti-discrimination office and comprehensive measures to improve protection against discrimination for students and other university members.
Since the resolution was only passed in German, we will reproduce the entire resolution in English here:
Resolution: Rejection of the proposed anti-discrimination concept and withdrawal of participation
The student parliament, in its responsibility for the interests and concerns of the students, has decided to pass a resolution that rejects the proposal of the Presidential Board for a discrimination protection concept. This rejection is based on the conviction that the proposed concept does not meet the necessary need for an anti-discrimination office and comprehensive measures to improve discrimination protections for students and other members of the university. In addition, the student body withdraws its participation in the development of this anti-discrimination concept.
1. Rejection of the proposed anti-discrimination concept: The student body rejects the anti-discrimination concept proposed by the Presidential Board in its current form, as it does not meet the necessary need for an anti-discrimination office and comprehensive measures to improve protection against discrimination for students and other university members.
2. Need for a central anti-discrimination office: The student body emphasizes the urgent need for a full-time central anti-discrimination office at our university. This office should be equipped with sufficient resources to effectively counteract discrimination-related incidents and provide adequate and qualified support for those affected. The establishment of such an office should be prioritized and implemented immediately.
3. Demand for comprehensive measures to improve protection against discrimination: The student body calls on the Presidential Board to promptly develop comprehensive measures to improve protection against discrimination for students and other university members. These measures should include preventive strategies, training, awareness-raising activities, and appropriate mechanisms for reporting incidents of discrimination. It is critical that the University create an inclusive and non-discriminatory environment for all members of the University community.
4. Withdrawal of the student body’s participation in the development of the anti-discrimination concept: The student parliament decides to withdraw its participation in the development of the anti-discrimination concept. This step is taken due to the that the proposed concept does not meet the requirements and needs of the students. needs of the students.
5. Communication of the resolution: The student parliament instructs the AStA to communicate this resolution to the presidium, the senate and other relevant bodies. It should be pointed out that the rejection of the proposed anti-discrimination concept and the withdrawal of participation are based on the concerns and demands of the students. In addition, the student body requests a written statement from the Presidential Board of the Georg-August University of Göttingen by June 13, 2023.
The student body reaffirms its commitment to effective discrimination protections at our university. It calls on all of its members to actively advocate for a discrimination-free university community and to raise their voices to effect lasting change. It is important that we work together to fight for an inclusive and respectful environment where all members of the university are treated equally.
This resolution is intended to serve as an expression of the will and demands of the student body. The student body urges the President’s Office and other responsible parties to take the concerns and concerns of the students seriously and to take appropriate measures in a timely manner to ensure comprehensive and effective protection against discrimination.
The student body agrees to work with all relevant parties who are interested in interested in finding a solution that meets the needs and demands of students. needs and demands. It is critical that the University be a safe and inclusive place for all, where discrimination and injustice have no place.
This resolution is effective immediately and will remain in effect until appropriate measures to improve discrimination protections are implemented. The Student Parliament reserves the right to take further steps to represent the interests of students and to improve discrimination protections at our university.
Göttingen, May 30, 2023
The AStA has been instructed to communicate this resolution to the Presidium, the Senate and other relevant bodies. The student body demands a written statement from the presidium by 13.06.2023. If the presidium does not show any concession and does not take our justified concerns into account appropriately, we will take further steps to represent the interests of the student body.
We will keep you informed about further developments and remain committed to representing your concerns and demands. You can find the full resolution here.
Let’s work together to advocate for comprehensive and effective discrimination protections at our university. Your support and participation are vital to effecting positive change.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or for more information.